Back in 2019, Idris Elba came forward with a series starring himself as a struggling DJ. Everyone got quite impressed with his performance in the series. However, Turn Up Charlie failed to create the magic in front of the viewers as it was quite predictable.
The details of the show are given here.
Idris Elba and Gary Reich are the creators of the comedy series that got released on 15th March 2019 on Netflix.
Gill Isles is the producer, and Idris Elba, Gary Reich, and Tristram Shapeero are the executive producers of the American show.
Turn Up Charlie has completed its single-season successfully with eight episodes overall.
What Is the Plotline of the Series Turn Up Charlie?
The series revolves around the protagonist, DJ Charlie, who is struggling with his future. He gets the last opportunity to be successful in the future while playing the role of nanny, often called manny, for his best friend’s naughty daughter.
Charlie discovers himself as a playboy in the past. His best friend, David, became a famous actor, whereas he was partying hard, got dumped, and is living with his aunt now. When his parents call him from Nigeria, he fakes many instances to prove that he has become successful in life. David’s daughter, Gabby, didn’t allow any of the nannies to exist for more than a week. It was Charlie’s turn now. His primary reason to do this was to get in touch with David’s wife, Sara, who is a successful DJ. She has many contacts that could change his life.
The Release Date: When Will the Series Turn Up Charlie Get a Renewal?
In the beginning, the makers were quiet regarding the renewal of the series. However, a year later after its release, in 2020, they decided to speak up about it. Netflix confirmed that Turn Up Charlie Season 2 would not get a renewal. A thankful statement was also shared by the streaming giant in the end. They also thanked the whole cast and crew for making the series work on Netflix and adding life to it.
Netflix also mentioned that they would remain in touch with Idris Elba for their future projects. Many fans who were desperately waiting for the announcement of the second season received the bad news. More than a year has passed since the declaration of cancellation of the show. No chances of the reversal of the decision have been observed yet.
What Are the Names of the Characters Involved in the Series Turn Up Charlie?
The main and the recurring characters of the series are:
- Charlie, played by Idris Elba, is a struggling DJ and a bachelor. He gets the last chance to build his music career. At the same time, he becomes a manny to Gabby, who is the problem child daughter of his best friend. He resides with his auntie and lies to his parents about his success.
- Sara, played by Piper Perabo, is a successful DJ to whom David is married. She has the contacts through which Charlie can rise at the top.
- David, played by JJ Feild, is the childhood friend of Charlie. He has moved back to London from Los Angeles and is an actor.
- Gabrielle, or Gabby, played by Frankie Hervey, is the 11-year-old daughter of David and Sara, who doesn’t allow any nanny to last longer than a week. She is the primary reason, due to which David shifted to the UK to give her a normal childhood.
- Astrid, played by Angela Griffin, is the manager of Sara and sometimes loves to flirt with Charlie. She loves to party recklessly.
- Dell, played by Guz Khan, is the untidy best friend of Charlie, who loves to sit on the couch all day long.
- Auntie Lydia, played by Jocelyn Jee Esien, is the old-school auntie with whom Charlie lives. She has zero tolerance for the attitude of Gabby.
- The other characters involved in the series are:
- Tommi’s role played by Jade Anouka
- Layla Valentine’s role played by Rina Sawayama
- Hunter’s role played by Cameron King
- Bea’s role played by Emily Carey
- Daniel Smith’s role played by Dustin Demri-Burns
What Are the Ratings of the Series Turn Up Charlie?
The writing of the story is poor, and twists were predictable according to the critical consensus. This prediction destroyed the fun elements of the series, and thus it received an average response. It has a score of 52% on the Tomatometer, based on 42 critic ratings. The audience score of the series is 89%, based on 176 user ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.
Turn Up Charlie has a rating of 7.1 out of 10 on IMDb.
Where Can We Watch the Series Turn Up Charlie?
Right Now, the series is only available on Netflix. To watch it, you must have a subscription to it.
We will add on the other links also, after their availability on various channels. You can also download it to watch it offline from different platforms.
The second season of the show has been cancelled, due to which the heart of many fans broke. We can expect its renewal only if another network takes over the series.
Until then, keep enjoying Charlie’s life.